THE GUY PROJECT
Friday, December 10, 2004
  The Man, the Beast, and the Spirit
“No,” said the Man.
“Yes,” said the Beast.
“Wait,” said the Spirit.

“Impossible,” said the Man.
“Ridiculous,” said the Beast.
“Miraculous,” said the Spirit

“Live for duty!” said the Man
“Obey your feelings!” said the Beast
“Let love guide your actions…” said the Spirit

So I set out to live a life of love. But the three at work within me, the Man, the Beast, and the Spirit, all continue to fight for control over my life. The Man wishes to be a decent person, liked by people and able to make it through life. He is frail and the weakest of the three. He is indifferent. He has trouble seeing beyond the present. He is stable and wants to maintain harmony. As the Man takes control of my life I understand what it is to value family, to value hard work. The Man does have a conscious, but it is marred and full of inconsistency.
The Beast in me has power over the man, and may overtake him with ease. With emotions fully-charged, the Beast demands to be fed. Snarling and vicious, it has no mind for decency, and would kill that which threatens or irritates it. One thing is certain, it is out to satisfy its urges and will stop at nothing to see them through.
The Spirit is the very power of God at work within me. As I pray, the Spirit whispers His will into my life, but the softness of His voice yet overpowers the sound of any other competing for authority. The most powerful of the three, the Spirit teaches me how to love. He teaches me how to work the Man and control the Beast. The Spirit gives the Man vision and clarity of purpose. He harnesses the Beast and shows the Man how to use it for protection or, if needed, attack. In addition to teaching, the Spirit also restores that which the Beast maimed or the Man neglected. He shows me how to love Himself and others, selflessly and sincerely. As Fenelon said, love carried through time becomes devotion.

You know, Jarod, its funny. I struggle with devotion and dedication. I am becoming more and more convinced of the importance of setting aside time every day to call upon the Spirit. This may not be necessary for every believer, but I am finding that my spontaneity is no longer sufficient. I don’t think God appreciates it much either.
Making a new plan,
Dave

 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
...

ARCHIVES
November 2003 / December 2003 / January 2004 / February 2004 / July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / March 2008 /


Powered by Blogger